Tuesday 18 May 2010

Workplace stress and how to counter it

I just read an interesting piece on workplace stress in the Guardian's G2 supplement - How to survive workplace stress in the recession http://gu.com/p/2h427/tw

I'm my own boss but still have to remind myself that I need balance.

Yesterday was a very long day and I happily worked until midnight. But I made sure I could sleep in a little this morning and yesterday's work was the kind of thing that makes a differece long term.

I've had jobs in the past where no matter how hard I worked, I didn't seem to make a dent in my workload. That did not involve my being happy about overtime.

It's easy to get caught up in the fear of a situation (what if I don't do what's being asked for me? What if I get made redundant next? What if I burn out and am unable to work at all?) but this kind of thinking is simply going to add to your stress.

Unless you use it positively.

Give yourself some time to actually think things through. What IF you simply can't manage? Let your mind wander? What's the worst case scenario you can think of?

Often, this can actually bring some relief. Once you've realised that you can cope even if your worst case situation occurs, you'll be better able to manage.

If you're doing the work of former colleagues who haven't been replaced, ask your boss if there's a timeframe in place for the hiring freeze to thaw.

You don't have to let your stress build up until it explodes. Instead, even if you feel no one else understands, empathise with yourself.

Trying to deny that you're under pressure when you're working long hours and trying to do too much is just going to add to your stress.

Acknowledging that you're under tremendous pressure and think about practical ways you can relieve it.

This might include making time for exercise, fitting in some meditation or other relaxation, eating nourishing food and getting enough sleep etc.

Even if, at the moment, it feels like complete fantasy, make a list. What would help you feel better right now? Some things may be impossible to put into action at the moment but you'll find at least a few ideas you can start integrating into your life today.

No comments: