Friday 20 November 2009

Singing in public

I enjoyed being part of Sadie's radio show again today (you can listen by clicking here and choosing Friday, 20th November, noon to 1pm - http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/essex.shtml).

But as well as the topics (whether cheats ever prosper and Jordan in the jungle), I learned that, for a confidence coach, I'm still pretty shy.

Sadie and Lynette (the other guest) burst into song at a moment's notice. I thought about joining in but only eventually coaxed myself to sing in a lower key, harmonies rather than the actual song.

I love singing. When I was a kid, I sang a lot but somehow, lost my voice. In the past year or so (especially since starting to work so much with psychosynthesis), I've been singing much more - on my bike, walking along the street (as long as it's either deserted or so hectic that the roar of traffic etc. will drown me out), in the bath etc. Even at home, I prefer to let rip when I'm pretty sure my neighbours are out (though I am getting a bit braver.)

Is there something you love to do but hold back on? When I want to sing and stop myself, I feel like I'm being physically restrained. Do you ever get that feeling?

Maybe it's when you want to voice a different opinion in a conversation / meeting or you stop yourself dancing even when you love the music... Think about how you hold yourself back and don't express yourself fully.

I'm going to:

1) sing around my home AT LEAST once a day - as loud as I want, no holds barred (I can feel my anxiety levels rise as I type this!)
2) not chicken out next time I want to sing in public
3) stop expecting perfection. I'm no Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline, Linda Perry, Courtney Love or Cerys Matthews (and many more musical heroes) but singing along to them makes me happy and I plan on doing more of it.

What steps are you going to take?

Feel free to email me - I'd love to hear :)

No comments: