Friday 14 March 2008

Nancy Drew - doing everything with ease and grace

I recently watched the new Nancy Drew film hoping that it would live up to my expectations from reading all the books as a kid.

In the books, Nancy was about 18 but she's a few years younger in the film. Still at high school, she refuses to dumb down (way ahead of the other girls in track, always raising her hand to answer questions in class and generally being almost annoyingly perfect).

Emma Roberts, Julia's neice, reminded me a little of Natalie Portman. I especially liked the scene where, before falling into Ned's arms because he liked her, she wanted to take a little time to figure out what her own feelings were first.

I don't know where she got this unshakable confidence (at one point, she admits that a prank had "bruised" her feelings a little) as her dad was trying to get her to abandon her gift for "sleuthing". In the books and TV series, she'd helped him on cases.

I know she's a fictional character but watching her resourcefulness helped me tap into my own. Even when the fire department were there to rescue her, she's perfectly able to save herself, but thanks very much anyway.

When things are feeling shaky for you, consider getting a boost from a fictional character like Nancy Drew (it feels incomplete to just write Nancy, somehow).

Others I regularly get inspiration from are Elle Woods (Legally Blonde I and II), Dr Quinn, Jessica Fletcher, Spiderman, Lisa Simpson... and that's ignoring the millions of friends available to help me from my bookshelves. Who always makes you feel better, stronger and more capable?

Don't forget to use yourself as your best role model. When did you last handle a challenging situation yourself? You can draw on those same reserves now.

For more information and confidence tips, please visit www.applecoaching.com

You can read archived blogs from when I was the Wellbeing Network's Self Image Editor here
http://www.wellbeingblog.co.uk/category/self-image/

No comments: