Monday 10 August 2009

Ridiculous rescues - What kind of situation makes you forget your resourcefulness?

I just had to be rescued.

I'd popped out to feed some neighbours' fish (they're away for a couple of days) and when I went to let myself out, found that the door was locked and wouldn't budge (my hand is still bleeding a little from where I tried to make it open).

The letter box wouldn't open from the inside and all the windows were locked, too, so while I could see some neighbours outside, I couldn't communicate with them.

After about 20 minutes of feeling completely unresourceful - no internet, phone or anything other than what I was wearing - I thought about trying to leap over some fences to eventually reach my own backyard.

I'd have to walk a few blocks round to the front and was worried that I'd then need to scale the fence each time to feed the fish. Fortunately, another neighbour's window was open so I yelled up for help.

I threw the keys over the empty yards (phew - they made it) and she was able to get me out of there.

But it made me think. I was in no danger (apart from my fear of missing deadlines if I didn't get out in time to finish my features) and yet I was in full on panic mode.

All my usual resourcefulness (between the journalism and coaching, I generally feel able to do pretty much anything I set my mind to) had completely vanished.

What kind of situations make you forget your resources?

No comments: