Friday 7 August 2009

Trying to be your best

I have become addicted to Dollhouse and Bionic Woman.

In Dollhouse, even though the whole premise is completely unethical, there's a small part of me that would love to have new skills downloaded so I could wake up with the ability to do pretty much anything - I'd just want to be in control of the programming.

And I'd also probably be too scared to actually mess with my brain in case something went wrong.

All the "dolls" are good looking and when one is slashed, he says he can't be his best now. The (also slashed) doctor agrees sadly.

I know it's TV but why do so many of us let whatever it is we don't like about our appearances hold us back so much?

Then there's Bionic Woman.

While I can't imagine (though, sure, it's possible I might change my mind) ever risking the knife for the sake of a few wrinkles, there's a small part of me that wonders how close to the front of the line I'd be if I could be made to run faster (I don't run at all, other than for the occassional bus or train), jump higher, hear and see more etc.

These abilities feel far more worthy (though currently impossible - who knew I'd enjoy the SciFi Channel?) of taking a risk (though I imagine I'd still be too scared to risk it).

Still, realising that I envy a fictional character's strength and fitness is part of what motivated me to have a 6am swim this morning (7am yesterday). I know I'll never be bionic fast but swimming makes me feel at my strongest.

And recognising that there is soooo much more I want to learn (though I love the idea of it all being downloaded with minimum effort on my part) has me actively looking for more opportunities to do this.

I also admire Veronica Mars' ability to put the past behind her and deal with whatever life throws at her in an incredibly resourceful way - at just 17.

Which fictional characters can give you clues about the characteristics and skills you'd like to develop in yourself?

No comments: