Tuesday 26 August 2008

Are you a highly sensitive person?

Since I was little, I've occassionally been called things like "over-sensitive", "very emotional" and other labels that make me sound anxious and neurotic.

Through my training and experience as a coach (and, as I've got older) I've learned more and more ways to handle it. There are all sorts of ways to make things fun instead of feeling like life's an endurance test.

I'll still cry at anything: music that sounds so amazing tears stream down my face, a lovely film, walking past a book in a library or bookstore that made me cry when I read it, something really sad on Home & Away (I know, the fact that I still watch it is pretty sad in itself), even reading the name Rachel Corrie sets me off again.

I'm also extremely sensitive to noise, smells, tastes, light etc. So when I heard about the Highly Sensitive Person (do the test here), I breathed a sigh of relief.

Now, when the endless sounds of the ice cream van (it's raining, the nieghbourhood kids are on holiday, no one's coming out!!!) make me want to scream, I can shrug and remind myself that it's nothing personal.

And that an early night and scheduling in more breaks and "me time" will make me less cranky.

What can you do for yourself to counter sensory overload in your life or work?

1)

2)

3)

Remind yourself that you're in charge of your own life and that there are always things you can do (even if that means wearing earplugs or shades in January).

(c) Eve Menezes Cunningham / www.applecoaching.com 2008.

1 comment:

Cate Subrosa said...

Hi, I just started a blog about being a Highly Sensitive Person, which you might find interesting. Pop by and let me know what you think!