Thursday 7 August 2008

Clutter v. minimalism

Albert Einstein apparently said "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk?"

I love my desk. As well as my trusty laptop, I'm surrounded by my diary (aka my brain), a cow toast rack I use for receipts, a large red plastic apple I use to contain small items (some might call them clutter) and a mug for pens etc. I also have a little wooden Namaste (Hindu for "the Divine within me greets the Divine within you") prayer hand carving and some post it notes with a large citrine crystal as a paperweight.

This is perfect for me but I know lots of people who'd consider it cluttered. Equally, I know many people (and have coached many clients on clutter clearing issues) who can barely access their keyboards let alone see what the desk looks like beneath their things.

Ultimately, it's whatever works best for you. If you like the idea of being more minimalist, experiment with it. See what you can put away. What do you use everyday? Can you put less needed items out of site but still easily accessible?

Might your desk actually benefit from more personal touches? What would motivate and inspire you as you sit and work? Pictures of your family or friends? A funny cartoon?

Experiment with it and find your perfect way of working...

© Eve Menezes Cunningham / www.applecoaching.com 2008.

No comments: