Friday 18 December 2009

Taking it slow and enjoying the snow

After the usual snow induced Travel Chaos kicked in on my way home last night, I worried I'd be stranded in London all night (Southend trains had been cancelled). Fortunately, I made it home in one piece, though much later than I'd expected.

By the time I was on the penultimate leg of my journey, a rail replacement bus, it was snowing so hard that the driver was crawling along and I realised that when he'd said this would be the last bus, he hadn't been exaggerating.

Once I was within walking distance (albeit very slow - I tore a ligament after falling in snow a few years ago and still feel a bit wary), I began to enjoy it.

It felt like I was the only human around - no other footprints, only a couple of small foxes. I stopped off a couple of times to make snow angels and just took it slow, enjoying the snow.

There's something magical about snow. Even the grimiest streets or a row of dustbins look pretty under its dust.

But when it turns to ice and slush, the streets end up looking worse than ever.

Have you ever had an experience (a holiday / relationship / night out / becoming a parent / anything) that left you feeling like your whole life had changed?

That things you'd never considered suddenly seemed really obvious?

How long did you hold onto the sense of wonder?

When it faded, did you feel worse than you had before as the added iciness and slush combined with reality?

What can you start doing differently today to bring back some of that wonder you had? How can you give the areas of your life you're less happy with a snowy makeover?

It might be as simple as thinking about what you did on that holiday etc. and figuring out how to make time for some of it in your daily life.

No comments: