Friday 11 December 2009

What are you afraid of?

We spent a lot of time (on Loud Women, BBC Essex - click here http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/essex.shtml and choose Friday 11/12/09 between noon and 2pm to listen) talking about dentist phobias today.

Lots of people called in with their horror stories.

I realised that even after extensive orthodontic treatment (4 teeth removed and a couple of years with a fixed brace on my top and bottom teeth), countless fillings (I have a very sweet tooth but, thankfully, haven't needed any new fillings for several years - since I started getting regular checks done) and gum surgery (the final step in a root canal treatment turned bad and several visits to the dental hospital while they tried to figure out how to fix things), I don't HATE going to the dentist.

I have a lovely dentist and while I don't enjoy going, I'm not phobic. And considering all the things our teeth and gum health can warn us about, regular visits are important.

I also have regular eye tests and other health checks. Part of me would quite like a full annual MOT like test but this year, having had several blood tests and an ECG along with other check-ups, I'm feeling quite virtuous about heading into the New Year.

That's not to say that I didn't put off the scariest ones for several months.

Before things get completely hectic with Christmas and the holidays, make any outstanding appointments to get whatever you need checked looked at.

It's NOT pleasant but you'll feel so much better when the results come back and you know that, whether it's a condition you need to deal with or a clean bill of health, you are taking responsibility for keeping your body as healthy as possible.

No comments: