Monday 8 February 2010

CV being ignored? The CSI:NY response...

As a freelance journalist, I'm used to repitching feature ideas that have been rejected or ignored.

Sometimes, one I'd practically given up on finds a new lease of life with a title I've wanted to get into for ages. And sometimes, they continue to be rejected and ignored.

Either way, I've learned that sending out more ideas is the best way of handling it. Waiting for a response without taking other actions would be pretty depressing.

Still, I was amazed by the audacity of Sarah Carter's (Shark) character, Haylen, on CSI: NY. Having sent three CVs to the lab and hearing nothing back, she didn't think:

. they don't want me
. they have enough staff
. they've given the job to someone more qualified
. there's something I don't know about but I must not be right for the role

Fictional Haylen thought Obviously, they really want me but they just can't afford me. I know, I'll apply for government funding. That way, they can hire me and I'll get paid from someone else's budget...

I thought Mac might still decide against signing off on Haylen joining the team. (It's early days and while I've so far resisted reading future episode guides, it wouldn't surprise me if she turns out to be a stalker or some other kind of problem).

But she's joined.

In an unscientific poll, I've asked a few people how they'd handle their CV being ignored after sending it, three times, to their dream employer.

No one has suggested going over potential boss's head to apply for funding but maybe Haylen can inspire you to be a little more proactive (though maybe not quite so extreme)...

No comments: