Monday 22 February 2010

Do you ask for what you're worth at work?

How often have you asked for a pay raise at work?

If you work for yourself, do you charge what you're worth or too little?

When you have psyched yourself up to quote what you're worth or present reasons for being worth more to your company than you've been getting, how comfortable do you feel about it?

Do you think:

a) Sure, I wish they'd offered more without my having to ask but they know I'm worth every penny and I'm sure I'll get it. If not here, then somewhere else...

b) I feel so greedy. So many people have lost their jobs / I'm lucky to be working in a field I enjoy...

c) I hope this doesn't prompt them to fire me / never hire me again. And that they don't tell all their aquaintances how outrageous I was to ask...

Which person's attitude do you think would be most likely to get the new rates she or he hopes for?

How can you boost your own confidence more so you believe in your value to your employer / clients and customers?

Before going into that meeting / making that call / writing that email, can you boost your morale by reading testimonials, positive reviews, clients' comments and other things that remind you that you're great at your job?

If you worry "But I'm not great at my job", what specific areas could you use a revision course or extra training in? What would help you be better at your work?

What do your colleagues / bosses / clients / others you work with value most about you? If nothing springs to mind, can you ask a few trusted souls?

It may be that, on this occassion, you don't get more money. But by having raised it, your manager / client will know that you'd like more and when they next have budget meetings, they'll be more likely to allocate more for you in the future.

Even if you don't get more money, you'll be getting valuable feedback. Ask for specifics. What do you need to do to prove your worth? What kind of timeframe are they thinking of?

You may choose to look elsewhere but whatever you do, doing something is more empowering that just sitting at your desk wishing they'd recognise your worth without you having to point it out.

No comments: