Thursday 6 November 2008

Simple things to make you feel better

There's something very comforting and confidence boosting about doing things you don't usually do in order to take better care of yourself.

I recently piled up all my clothes that needed buttons to be sewed back on (not that many - five buttons in total) and just sat down and did it while listening to some nice music.

It gave me a real sense of satisfaction. And the previous energy drain (everytime I'd spotted each item, I'd thought, "Oh, I really ought to ____") was replaced with a little sense of pride.

And, not being a natural seamstress (I know, sewing buttons on is hardly designing my own evening wear collection), I felt pleased that the thread held!

Do you remember Nicole Kidman's character in Cold Mountain? She'd been bred (I think they called it breeding then) to do aesthetically pleasing things like flower arranging, embroidery and singing. But she couldn't grow her own food or do anything practical.

Renee Zellweger's character helped her learn to fend for herself more and function in the real world.

We're very fortunate in this part of the world and time in history. In spite of the "current economic climate", it's likely that, as you read this, you have access to safe drinking water, food and shelter. That when you don't let worries spiral, you realise that, actually, most if not all of your basic needs are being met.

So instead of focusing on and worrying about the markets and other things you probably don't have a huge deal of say over, think about how you can make things that bit better.

Learning or doing simple things to take care of yourself and the things you already own can be a nice boost.

© Eve Menezes Cunningham / http://www.applecoaching.com/ 2008.

No comments: