Friday 8 January 2010

Does snow make us more spontaneous?

When the whole country seems to come to a halt at the mere mention of snow (and then we actually get quite a lot), it forces me to be more spontaneous.

Normally, I'm a complete planner. I psych myself up to do things and then do them.

But snow means that the things we normally take for granted (even just walking to the station / nearest bus stop) can feel harder to predict.

No matter how much I may want to go swimming, I can't cycle the six mile roundtrip on icy roads (and it would take decades to walk).

If I make it up the hill without falling over (again) will trains and buses even be running?

Being self employed and working from home most of the time means I can be pretty flexible and rearrange snow-affected things while still getting a lot done.

If you're affected, what can you do to help you enjoy the snow days more?

How can you go with the flow?

For me, thinking about trekking all the way into college tomorrow (two hours each way on a good day) when there's the possibility it will be cancelled makes me feel completely unspontaneous again.

But taking time to make some snow angels after shovelling helps me to smile about it and experience the present rather than worrying about what might happen.

No comments: