Monday 2 February 2009

Changing your perspective

While I swam yesterday, I could see the snow coming down on the roof and around the conservatory type building that houses the pool. Swimming in the snow is something I'll always remember.

Even though I really enjoyed it, I was apprehensive about the consequences of such beautiful weather. Ever since I tore a ligament in my knee after walking for miles and miles in the snow 6 years ago, I have mixed emotions about snow. I alternate between fear of falling again and joy at the beauty of it all.

Someone mentioned that her children were praying for a snow day while she was hoping it would clear.

Talk about different ways to look at the same thing.

At the end of the day, I can't control the weather. So letting go of the tension that trying to control things that are none of my business creates, I decided to just enjoy whatever happened.

When it got heavy last night, I went out a few times (quietly to avoid waking up the neighbours) and made snow angels.

This morning, they were completely covered by fresh snow but I got out there while it was still pretty pristine and made more snow angels and a snow woman (Betty).

Because I had fun in the snow last night and this morning, next time I catch myself walking as slowly as a 376 year old in the snow, my attitude will be different.

Snow's no longer just an inconvenient hazard but a source of fun.

Being snowed in today doesn't really affect me workwise (I didn't have any outside appointments planned).

Still, it's a useful reminder that, no matter how sophisticated and civilised we think we are, sometimes, the weather's the boss.

Stay safe and enjoy!

© Eve Menezes Cunningham / http://www.applecoaching.com/ 2009.

No comments: