Monday 23 February 2009

Innoculations for the heart

I've just had my final jab before I head off to Kenya next week.

I'm always alarmed when the nurse explains the risks of various diseases. A little part of me actually contemplates staying home.

But I know it'll be worth it and I'm really looking forward to seeing the country my mother was born and raised in (as well as to having a couple of weeks' holiday).

It made me think about life experiences like marriage, parenting and so many other things we risk as humans.

If people focused only on the scary aspects (something unthinkable happening to a child, betrayal and so on), the species would have died out a long, long time ago. No one would ever allow themselves to fall in love or to have children.

Is there something you're pushing away in your own life? It may be a risk to do with work or a creative venture or love... think about it.

In most emotional situations, there is no innoculation for the heart. But by surrounding your life with as much love as possible (supportive friends and family as well as the love and encouragement you can learn to give yourself), whatever happens will be easier to handle.

Sure, certain things will still hurt. A lot.

But it doesn't have to be deadly.

© Eve Menezes Cunningham / http://www.applecoaching.com/ 2009.

No comments: