Wednesday 29 April 2009

Fast-forwarding through life?

I love TV. There are so many great shows. I don't watch (what I consider - though others may disagree) trash but I love stuff that's well written, well produced and inspirational.

The downside is that I often find myself feeling inferior to genius fictional characters (Brennan on Bones, Reid on Criminal Minds, Rory on Gilmore Girls, Kitty on Brothers & Sisters (she just happened to accidentally write a bestselling book while on the campaign trail)...)

Another danger is that I sometimes want to fast-forward through boring / scary bits in real life.

Remembering to breathe deeply (whether I'm waiting for someone to stop an exceedingly long sentence or things suddenly feel very unpredicatable and I want to do away with suspense) helps ground me.

It connects me to real life and I'm able to figure out what's unsettling and how to handle that.

Next time you find yourself wanting to fast-forward through real life / delete something, take a moment to connect to the natural world (starting with your breath).

(c) Eve Menezes Cunningham / www.applecoaching.com 2009.

No comments: