Monday 20 April 2009

Perfectly imperfect relationships

I spent the weekend with a roomfull of psychotherapists learning more about couples' counselling for a feature I'm working on. Juliet Grayson was the trainer.

It was brilliant to learn more techniques I can use when I do coaching and NLP with couples.

I've also learned how I can improve my own relationships.

And I've (possibly just temporarily - I don't want to get carried away) taken some of the pressure off myself about trying to be a perfect coach, journalist / writer and psychosynthesis trainee.

In my head (yes, I realise how ridiculous this sounds), I'd been kind of hoping that by the time I got to the end of my training, I'd find all the things I'm happy helping clients with but hate doing myself (e.g. setting boundaries, asserting myself and so on) a breeze.

It's good to be reminded that no relationship is perfect. Perfection doesn't exist.

We just muddle through as best as we can and aim to be more loving and peaceful in all our interactions.

But when things come up that need addressing, it can get messy and that's absolutely fine. It's absolutely normal.

So whatever issues you're worried about in your own relationships - including the way you see yourself - give yourself a break and relax.

Be kind to yourself when you feel vulnerable. This will have a ripple effect on all your interactions and relationships.

(c) Eve Menezes Cunningham / www.applecoaching.com 2009.

No comments: