Monday 18 May 2009

Loving "Lie to me"

I learned about "eye accessing cues" while doing my NLP training. Our eyes move differently depending on whether we're creating (lying) or remembering an actual event (telling the truth).

While I found this part of the course interesting, I filed the info away under I'm Unlikely To Actually Need to Put This Into Practice - I couldn't imagine becoming fast enough at it all (especially as most people show it in certain ways but others do it differently) to put it into proper practice.

So I was reassured by Lie to Me (I already adore this show based on the research of real life psychologist and micro-expressions expert Dr Paul Ekman). The father-daughter relationship is especially cringe inducing - can you imagine having a "human lie detector" as a father when you just want to survive your teens?

Although the team spend everyday consulting on various cases / situations where people want to know the truth, they spend a lot of time studying these micro-expressions on a huge screen, pressing pause at incremental steps.

None of the characters are based on real people but I've not been able to stop worrying about the (fictional) one who practices Radical Honesty. How he doesn't get beaten up every day is beyond me - so much of what he says is inappropriate.

Still, it's made me much more conscious of how our actions really do speak much louder than our words.

Enjoy!

(C) Eve Menezes Cunningham / www.applecoaching.com 2009

No comments: