Friday 17 July 2009

Bloggers unite for human rights

I just came across this and thought it was definitely worth highlighting (http://www.bloggersunite.org/event/bloggers-unite-for-human-rights-2009 for more information).

Most of my work, now, is about wellbeing. Whether it's my journalism / writng or coaching, I'm very lucky to be able to focus on all sorts of things that can help readers and clients (and myself) live better lives, eat better, relate to others more easily and so on.

I know how lucky I am to live in a safe place (I'd started typing "in a safe part of the world" but women, men and children all over the world are unsafe if they suffer abuse in their own homes from the people who are supposed to love and protect them) and to be able to focus now on wellbeing rather than survival, like so many people on the planet.

Over the years, I've had "activist" spurts but it would literally hurt my heart and I burned out a couple of times by trying to do too much when I was younger.

I attended a peace and disarmament conference at the United Nations in Geneva to mark International Women's Day in March 2002. I heard horror stories about "peace keeping" troops raping the women they were supposed to be keeping safe as well as inspirational stories about troops and civilians trying to make the world a safer place for everyone.

My first ever press conference as a freelance journalist was with Eve Ensler (VDay.org founder and playright), Elizabeth Lesser (founder of the Omega Institute), Sally Field, Jane Fonda and several activists risking death on a daily basis to make a difference in their homelands (Africa, Iraq and Afghanistan). At the same conference, I got to meet longtime activist and life saver (or so it felt when I first read everything I could get my hands on by her in my early 20s), Gloria Steinem.

Eve Ensler started VDay because her heart was breaking hearing audience members's tales of survival after performances of The Vagina Monologues. They now fund grassroots organisations around the globe, helping put an end to violence against women and girls.

I've been fortunate to interview people who are making the world a safer, more peaceful place (including Ibrahim Issa from Hope Flowers School in Palestine, Marianne Williamson, Martha Beck and Getrude Matshe) and feel so lucky to get to be inspired as part of my job and, hopefully, raise awareness about these and other amazing people.

But, apart from using my Amnesty and Greenpeace credit cards (a lot), I don't actually do much at all apart from trying to help individuals feel better about themselves.

Is there a way you could become part of the solution? It might be raising funds, volunteering time and skills, writing letters to political prisoners and MPs or something else - give it some thought and trust that you can make a difference.

Check out websites like www.amnesty.org (or others that speak more to you.

And if you have a blog, why not add yours to this day of campaigning?

2 comments:

Steve Wallace said...

I, like yourself, live in a part of the world that is for the most part safe. I'm slowly realizing that the good majority of the world lives in areas where they should be terrified of their government and are subjected to all kinds of inhumane torture. It's hard to just sit by and watch it happen, but there is so little most of us can do, which is sad. I do agree with you, though, every chance we get to improve other people's lot in life, we should take it.

Anonymous said...

Nice one Evey. I started this morning by sending a couple of Urgent Action letters through Amnesty. It's not much but it's a start and if we all get on board, we CAN make a difference. I remember once hearing a testimony of a woman who, as more and more Amnesty letters arrived at the jail where she was being held, first got fed properly, then had access to a lawyer, and finally was released. It does work!