Wednesday 15 July 2009

Could taking a step back from your obstacles could help you overcome them?

I had my first ever Wii experience while babysitting this evening. Computer games have come along way from the ones I remember (Pac Man? Donkey Kong?).

One involved shooting targets, balloons, tin cans, space ships and I was trying to avoid the ducks (I don't eat meat - feel guilty shooting at it on a computer game!).

M said the tin can level was the hardest but I said, "No, the space ships" (they kept kidnapping clones of my avatar and "I" was making scared noises on the screen).

She said, "That's just because you're scared of them!"

And it was true - there was a part of me that felt in danger of annihalation. I was cringing and yeeshing at the screen whereas when M tacked that level, she shot at the spaceships without any emotional attachment / fear.

Is there an area of your life that you're too closely identified with to make the progress you'd like to be seeing?

By taking a step back and reminding yourself that you're not actually in danger, your head will be much clearer and you'll be better able to avoid the problems that crop up day to day.

No comments: