Friday 24 July 2009

Easy vegetable soup - Eating well to support yourself

I attended a really interesting event at the College for Naturopathic Medicine last night.

I have a healthy heart (my ECG last week confirmed that) but know that when I'm stressed / in self sabotage mode, I can be prone to turning to sugary and fatty (yummox) foods to make myself feel better.

This can lead to self loathing filled thoughts telling me I'm no good at anything (what we eat really does affect our moods so while this isn't strictly a confidence coaching blog, eating well can definitely help boost yours).

By cooking more in batches, so I can heat up a quick lunch or dinner that will be comforting and nutritious, I'm better able to eat in a way that supports myself. And I get to feel virtuous too.

I'm feeling especially good after being complemented on a soup I made for lunch today. I'm sharing the recipe to show how easy it is (anyone can cook, no matter how much they lack confidence in that area).

When you think of your own nutritional weak spots, rather than just beating yourself up ("I always leave making lunch too late and end up grabbing something unhealthy, expensive and unappealing..."), think of ways you can support yourself more in the future.

Soups and dall really works for me as I've never eaten a salad in my life. If you're more of a salad type soul, prep your favourite leaves and veggies in advance and make it easy for yourself.

Anyway, here's my easy veg soup:

. Chop some leeks (I do this finely as I love the flavour but hate the texture - I have to cook for myself as if I were a hard to please 4 year old sometimes) and soften them in some olive oil.
. Scrub (but don't bother peeling - lots of nutrients in the peel plus it saves time and energy) some potatoes and carrots. I usually go for a ratio of one leek, 2 big potatoes and one carrot but mix it up according to your own tastes).
. Start boiling them in a separate pan.
. Throw in a little wholegrain pasta to add bulk.
. Rinse a can's worth of cannelini beans and add these, too.
. Add some stock. I use Marigold's Swiss Boullion vegetable stock (along with a little nutmeg for wellbeing - I add a little nutmeg to everything from hot chocolate and beans on toast to soups and bakes. Got to have wellbeing...) and mix it all in.
. When the leeks are done, combine the contents of both pans and simmer until it's all so deliciously soft it's easy to mash.
. A few minutes before you're done, throw in some chopped coriander and let this wilt into it.
. Use a potato masher to mash it a bit.
. Serve with wholemeal rolls (or whatever kind of bread you enjoy).

Enjoy as much as you feel like now and keep the rest, in batches, in your fridge (you can also freeze some) for healthy lunches for days to come.

No comments: